Proof & Cooper invited me out to Dripping Springs to check out their fun “picnic-casual” restaurant. I almost declined because I didn’t want to make the 30 minute drive from Austin… (Haha…lazy much?) But then I thought, “why not? I should get to know Texas Hill Country restaurants better.”
Two of my girlfriends came with me, and we made an afternoon of it! I’m so happy I checked this place out, because the fried chicken is next-level awesomeness. I think it’s on par with some of the best fried chicken places in Austin! (I’m lookin’ at you, Tumble 22 and Lucy’s.)
here’s what you should know:
- Brunch is served on Sundays from 10-1. I got there just in time for the tail end of that, so I started with a Bloody Mary with all the fixings. I don’t typically order a Bloody Mary (unless I’m hungover, which I wasn’t….), but Proof and Cooper’s was solid. No surprise, there….I was told that the cocktails are some of the best in Hill Country.
- Family friendly! You can play a game of horseshoes, sit under a grove of live oak trees, and enjoy the pretty Texas hill country scenery from one of the picnic tables.
- Fried chicken is the star. I tried a lot of apps + entrees, and there are lots of tasty tidbits, but I think Proof & Cooper’s strength is in their slightly spicy/sweet fried chicken, drizzled with honey, and served with a biscuit.
- There are plenty of rotating draft beers + lots of cocktails. Cocktails feel fancy, so I like pairing them with casual food like burgers, fries, and fried chicken. Why not make every day a special event?
- It’s about a 10 minute drive from Hamilton Pool, so if you’re heading there in the summer, this would be a good place to eat after swimming.
18710 Hamilton Pool Rd, Texas 78738